Deacon Sergius Trubachev (1919–1995) (pronounced “Trubachóv”) trained and worked as a choral and symphony conductor. After retiring from a career in the secular Soviet-era music world, he took up permanent residence at the Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Monastery in 1980 and devoted the remainder of his life to composing and arranging hymns for the Russian Orthodox Church. Most of his works are grounded in the traditional church chants, which he supplied with harmonies that are alternately austere and luminous. In this respect, he followed the best traditions of the composers connected with the Moscow Synodal School -- Kastalsky, Chesnokov, Nikolsky, and Rachmaninoff. The present CD, one of the few entirely devoted to his works, shows him to be one of the most prominent contributors to the Russian liturgical repertoire in the latter 20th century. Technically, the recording could have benefitted from somewhat closer placement of the microphones, which would have made sound less “distant.” Nevertheless, it will be enjoyed by those who may not be familiar with Trubachev’s compositional legacy. The notes on the digipak are in both Russian and English.--V.M.